Friday, February 11, 2011

Freelance Friday: Paris-Based Journalist Caroline Kinneberg On Successful Pitching, Custom Publishing, and Writing From Abroad

 I recently guest edited the following interview with Paris-based freelancer Caroline Kinneberg for Lena Chen's the ch!cktionary. Check it out!

Caroline Kinneberg has written and edited across platforms since studying publishing at Columbia University. This freelancer, now based in Paris, France, started as an intern at GQ and Nylon in Sydney, Details in New York, and Teen Voices in Boston. She’s worked as a web editor at Conde Nast’s shopping magazine Lucky, updated Frommer’s 2012 NYC travel guide, and acted as an assistant managing editor for Self Service magazine, a Paris-based fashion and culture biannual that is more than 300 pages. Most recently, she published a piece on the illegal underground activities of Paris’ cataphiles for The Boston Globe.  In addition to the skills typically expected of a freelance writer and editor, Kinneberg’s expertise includes French-to-English translation and custom publishing. Here, she answers questions on her career, working from Paris, and the particulars of pitching articles.

Lena: If you don’t land a gig after a first interview but you still really want that job, what do you do?

Caroline: If you had a job interview for a position you really want and you didn’t get it, don’t take that to mean you won’t ever get that job! Once I applied to a web editor job and didn’t get it because of a lack of online experience. So I took another lower-level position for the website of a different magazine, and a few months later I spotted the same web editor position I had applied for in an online job posting. When I reapplied, I described what web experience I’d gained since the last interview. And I got the job! And I’m actually really glad I had that in-between job – I learned a lot there and it set me on some paths I wouldn’t be on without it. I tend to believe that things happen for a reason. So if you don’t get a job, use any criticism you get to your advantage.

Read the rest of the interview here.

No comments:

Post a Comment